With temperatures in the 100 degree range, my mind immediately and excitedly races to the idea of hitting the swimming pool. I mean I love to swim and hope that my little guy will to. But, with the desire for him to develop a similar passion does come a fair amount of fear. Recently, a young child lost his life to the dangers of the water. So, to ease my worries I recently enrolled my son in swimming lessons at a local center. With hopeful anticipation I then began scouting out all open swim times in the area. In case you are like me don’t forget the following water safety tips, let’s work together to keep are little’s safe:
- Always keep your eyes on your kiddo, accidents happen quickly and you want to be able to act fast. For kiddos under the age of 14 drowning is on the most common cause of death list. A child can drown in less than 2 minutes if their head goes under water.
- Always do a quick foot dip test; this will allow you to asses the water temperature before you dive in. Extreme water temps can shock your body. A slow descent is sometimes best with a little one.
- If possible swim with a buddy or two; the more hands and eyes on the kiddos the better.
- Use flotation devices, not only will this give you child a sense of independence and added fun but will free you up to swim a few strokes hands free.
- Remind the little ones to walk and not run, areas around the pool are very slippery.
- Keep food to outside the pool, you don’t want to choke or facilitate a messy clean up.
Remember, these are just a few ideas to keep in mind. Your parental intuition is your best guide, don’t second guess it!
Most importantly, have fun with your little and enjoy this fleeting moment with them while you can. I plan to!
As always don’t forget to be the sweet in someone’s day. BSM
I am so in love with my son it is crazy! I was talking with my Mom as I was driving home from bowling with friends the other night; and we were commenting on how fast he is growing, the milestones he was reaching and how he has totally reenergized my life. As the conversation was progressing and we were reflecting and laughing, my Mom said, “You couldn’t imagine your life without him.” I thought and said, “No, I can imagine my life – more sleep, clean house, free time, yes I can imagine it.” I laughed. I then continued, “But, you know what Mom, it is not a reality that I would chose, any day of the week. At all times I chose him.” Yes, my life could be on easy street right now, but I don’t want it, I am so in love with my son, the lack of sleep, messy house and constant cartoon playing is minimal payment for the joy he brings to my soul. He makes me happy. If ever asked, my answer will always and forever be “I choose you, my son!”
Friday evening I was gifted with a wonderful opportunity to go to a local concert and check out some great music. Now, it has been a while since I have just gotten dressed up and went out for a night on the town. So, I was shockingly giddy. I went to the local venue feeling like a million bucks had an amazing time as I swayed to music and let my cares melt away. I thought to myself “Wow, I really see that I should get out more often, I felt refreshed. Me time is a good thing.” After the concert, I was on an emotional high and I zoomed to picked up my son from the sitter and headed home. Once home I prepared myself for bed and was feeling great so I snuggled up to my baby who was fast asleep and in that moment, that moment I was totally happy. It was a feeling that I know I have felt before but in the bustle of the day I have never really labeled it. But as I lay next to my precious son who was so safely tucked in my arms I was happy and that then became the best part of the my evening. My son is the best part of day! Don’t forget to be the sweet in someone’s day. BSM